Can I Bring My Girlfriend to the USA?

If you’re wondering how you can bring your girlfriend to the United States, you’re not alone. Many couples who are from different countries wonder how they can get their significant other over to their location legally. Unfortunately, immigration is not flexible with their immigration rules, and will not give any benefits to unmarried couples.

If you want your significant other to visit you in the United States, they’ll need to apply to come to the U.S. on a visitor visa program. Most citizens of participating countries can travel to the United states for stays of 90 days or less without having to obtain a visa. If you’re looking for a long-term solution, they’ll need a visitor visa to be eligible to stay longer. In order to apply for this visa, they’ll need to meet specific requirements. This includes:

  • Your girlfriend must be a citizen of a participating country. The full list is located on the visa waiver program page. If they’re not on this list, they cannot apply for the visitor visa program.

  • Your girlfriend must obtain a visa for a temporary stay or immigrant visa for permanent residence. The easiest to apply for and most applicable to your situation would be a B-2 tourist visa.

  • Your girlfriend must fill out the online nonimmigrant Visa Application, or Form DS-160. Your girlfriend will have to complete the online application and print the application confirmation page, along with submitting a photograph.

Once all requirements have been submitted, your girlfriend will need to schedule herself for an interview at your local U.S. Embassy in the country she lives in. Wait times will vary depending on the location, visa category and season in which she is applying for the visa. Coronavirus has impacted the wait times for interviews, so expect to wait longer than usual for this process to be completed.

What if my girlfriend is denied?

If you find that your girlfriend’s application was denied, there are still a few options you have for her to come visit you in the United States.

  1. Your girlfriend can visit you under the Visa Waiver program, which allows your girlfriend to stay with you for 90 days or less without a visa. While this isn’t a long-term solution, it does provide a way for her to come visit you.

2. Get engaged with your girlfriend, as you can sometimes bring your fiancé over to the United States on a K-1 Visa.

3. Get married. This will allow your girlfriend the benefit to apply for a green card, which would be a permanent solution to allow her to come live with you. If you’re trying to get your girlfriend to live in the United States with you, and you’re not sure what your best options are, it’s time to chat with an experienced immigration lawyer to make sure you understand the right way to go about it. You don’t want to make any mistakes that could mess with your chance to bring your loved one to the United States.

Related Posts
  • The Top 3 Mistakes to Avoid in Deportation Defense Read More
  • How Long Does SIJS Take to Process? Read More
  • Who Is Considered to Be a Special Immigrant? Read More